Tuesday 22 March 2011

MORE PARA!!

I realized I never post on this bloggy blog about the thing I love the most in life, that of course is parapara. Silly really when I bet there's lots of para loving people out there who would love to read about events around Tokyo and the adventures that unfold at them. So let's change that, I'll start writing about the nights I go to and put the lesson videos up as well.

At the minute, in Tokyo at least, it feels like a time of big change for the para scene. For awhile now attendance at the traditional big para nights has been getting lower and lower and it seemed like we could be left with a really small community of die hard para fans going to the same few events every month. But I've noticed recently that a lot of younger gal circle type people are more seriously getting into it. Obviously para is always associated with gal circles, it always will be, but they only now the odd routine and don't really go to actual club nights. But recently there's been maybe half a dozen guys and girls around 18 who have been at para nights, and they all know a hell of a lot of routines, which if you do para you know takes a bit of dedication. So you can tell they aren't into just a fad but actually really love it. There's even a guy and girl I've seen recently coming to nights who know a lot of maniac routines, I was impressed. I know 6 people or so isn't a lot but it only takes a few in a group to get everyone else going.

The last two para nights I've been to is where I really started to notice a bit of a new generation coming through. For awhile there's been a few younger people on the edge of events looking like they want to get into para, but most younger people that go to para nights tend to give up and disappear, and for some reason they always look at me on the dance floor for the routines. But lately everybody has known all the newer stuff, more than I do, and they were all pretty awesome to be honest. And at the last night I went to, Koiwa Blue Keys, it was 90% people under 21 and it was such a good mix of songs, everyone was drinking and just having a good time and loved the para.

I can see what the future holds for the para scene in Tokyo if things continue. The big traditional clubs will shrink to having just the same old para people, playing the same playlists and doing what they do, or they will die. I think 9loveJ is close to vanishing, and it's their own fault for being such a closed non friendly clubnight. I don't think many people would shed a tear and just remember how good it used to be. SEF and Starfire will always continue as long as para exists, just because they are so much fun and most people in the community goes to them. They are like the definition of para. But a lot of other nights need to reach out to the younger crowd if they don't wanna have piss poor attendances.

B-1 Dynamite is such a paradox. The staff and especially the organiser always wants it to be the most fun night, more about having a drink and a laugh rather than serious business para, obviously you can have a good dance and a laugh at the same time. But B-1 for some reason has become more the serious business para night, and for that reason most younger people stay away. For them to continue being a weekly night they need to do two things.

1. Lower the price.
2. Reach out to gal circles and get involved with them now.

I shall definitely be going to more random nights that I didn't fancy going to before, and maybe those gal circle events I always get invited to. It's a good job I get on really well with all these kids, don't wanna be considered part of the old school, luckily I fit right in with both crowds. Whatever becomes of the para scene it will always be around, still way to many people who would die without it.

Incidentally, B-1 dynamite is cancelled for the 3rd week running this week, but that's due to earthquake rubbish. I will have para on a Wednesday so I'm having a B-1 vs Roppongi Street at my house. Wonder how many people I can get to come. 9loveJ is also cancelled, but Starfire and SEF Deluxe are still on this weekend, should be a good one. SEF is a dvd release event so expect a rip of SEF DX 009 on this here blog next week. Also on April 2nd myself, Jasmine and Heather, will be joining the Starfire crew to film the next Starfire dvd. Exciting!!

And here's the last lesson from Magical Rave because I haven't seen it online anywhere. Can't remember the name of the song, little help?

3 comments:

  1. yayy thanks for sharing thoughts on parapara nowadays (and video)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Koiwa is an event aimed at young gal circle people. Soichiro works for egg or something and is friends with all sorts of gals so any event he's involved in is going to have lots of young people. SEF does have a lot more gals now thanks to Uga and his connections.

    B-1 was a maniac event when it first started, so I guess it's never completely shed that aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I have to admit when I was there even a couple non official choreos got played at B1 and people knew them like it was normal (like Fastways 1234 Fire for example).

    W00t w00t for another blog about events and the scene in Japan! One way of sparking interest here is by giving people an insight to what the sence is like over there. I'm happy to have the regular point of views from both you and heather. =)

    Thanks for posting koushukai and I really look forward to the SEF rip. 8)

    ReplyDelete